Specific Programs Proposed by the Candidate
How We Decide
So what should you be concerned about?
Application and Selection Procedure
Terms of the Scholarship
Download Application Form
Inlaks Scholarships provide the opportunity to young people with exceptional talent in any field to broaden their vision abroad and improve their skills to operate in society, thus making them a future vehicle of change in their environment. The scholarships are of two types: university courses and specific programs.
Scholarships are granted for up to 2 years at top American, European and UK institutions, for funding requirements including tuition fees, up to a maximum of $85,000 or equivalent.
In the case of courses longer than 2 years, candidates must be able to demonstrate guaranteed funding for the balance of cost at the time of interviews in the last week of May or first week of June.
In the case of candidates for Imperial College, London, the Foundation is able to accept applications for a PhD without this requirement.
The Foundation does not give scholarships in the following subjects: Engineering, Computer Science, Urban Planning, Business Studies, Medicine, Public Health, Fashion Design, Music and Film Animation.
However in the case of Imperial College London scholarships will be given for Engineering and Computer Science. Further we will consider Indian Studies, only if they have contemporary relevance.
Scholarships for research, training or professional improvement to be carried out abroad either independently, or attached to a leading institution. Candidates are expected to provide full details of their proposed programs, including time and travelling plans, a full breakdown of costs, and evidence of agreement with such institutions if required.
Scholarships are open to all Indian citizens of either sex who hold a good degree from a recognized university and are resident in India at the time of application. All applicants must have done their first degree in India.
It is essential to have prior admission to the institution and course chosen. The Foundation will not consider candidates without admission or pending admission. The institutions concerned must only be top rank.
Candidates must be below 30 years of age on the first of July in the year of application. Preference will be given to candidates who have not yet studied abroad. Candidates who are already studying or have started their program abroad are not eligible.
The award of other grants, teaching assistantships and support from other sources for the proposed programme will be regarded by the Foundation as a positive factor. The Foundation also encourages applications from young people currently employed.
The Foundation has been awarding scholarships to deserving young Indian since 1976. Few other foundations have during this period, given as many scholarships in as many and such varied fields.
The key to Inlaks is flexibility. We look for the unusual, we search out a special talent and we spot people with flair. And once we are convinced that we have found it, we will do everything possible to accommodate a worthy candidate.
- It is perhaps for this reason that a list of Inlaks alumni reads like a “Who’s Who” of young India
- Your achievements, academic and otherwise. We will need proof that you are an achiever.
- Your potential. We pride ourselves on judging potential as much as performance. It isn’t just what you have already achieved; it’s what we can help you achieve in the future.
- The suitability of your course, project or programme. You must persuade us that the course/ programme is right for you and that you are right for it.
Application forms are available from the 10th of January to the 15th of April from the Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation, C/o Inlaks India Foundation, 86/87 Atlanta, Nariman Point Mumbai 400021. They must be completed by the candidate and submitted at the same address by 15th of April. They must include:
- Evidence of admission to a university or a course, and a full details of the institute’s financial requirements.
- One self-addressed stamped, (Rs.10/-) envelope (4”x 9”).
- Candidates in architecture, fine and applied arts, and related subjects must submit a maximum of 10 samples of their work on a CD / DVD only, giving the size of the original, the material used and the date of completion. This material will not be returned. Candidates for Film, Dance, Acting, must submit CD /DVD too. The images must only be in jpeg format, not tiff format. A portfolio may be submitted also if it is not too bulky.
- Evidence of any outstanding achievements in extra-curricular activities in any field.
- Do not send copies of academic certificates with the completed form. These will be needed only at the time of the final interviews. An independent Inlaks Selection Committee carries out the selection.
Applications received are analysed and evaluated, and the Committee subsequently calls the most interesting candidates for interviews. All applicants must be available for interviews in India. They usually take place in Mumbai or Delhi at the end of May early June, in two stages: preliminaries, and for those who make it, finals. Candidates short-listed for the interviews will have to arrange for their own travel and accommodation. Candidates who do not receive any communication by 1st of June must assume that their applications have not been successful.
The duration of the scholarship is up to 2 years. In the case of Phd programmes with collaborating institutions and universities, funding may be extended upto 4 years. It covers for the period granted tuition fees, adequate living expenses and one-way travel. In case of specific programmes the financial coverage will be discussed directly with the candidate. Again, in the case of courses longer than 2 years, candidates must be able to demonstrate guaranteed funding for the balance of cost at the time of interviews in the last week of May or first week of June. Acceptance of other scholarships, teaching assistantships and part time jobs are welcome after approval from the Foundation.
Scholarship will not be awarded to candidates whose proposed course of study or specific project requires field trips back to India during tenure.
Scholarships are awarded in June generally for commencement in subsequent September and October. Any scholarship not commenced within 9 months will be forfeited.
This form is to be filled in for all applications for Inlaks Scholarships Abroad. The form can be downloaded, filled in and sent to followind address:
Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation,
C/o Inlaks India Foundation
86/87 Atlanta, Nariman Point,
Download Application Form (.xls format)
RAVI SANKARAN Inlaks Fellowship Program for Field Biology, Ecology and Conservation.
The Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation invites applications to this program, which provides funds for three activities:
• Study in a Master’s degree at an institution abroad
• An internship with an institution abroad
• A short research or implementation project within India
Only activities that have an explicit focus on biodiversity conservation will be considered for this Fellowship Program. For details please view www.ravisankaran.org
Inlaks - Imperial College Collaboration
The Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation and the Imperial College, London now offer joint scholarships for PhD programmes (up to 4 years) and Masters courses. These will be available for all courses in the Faculty of Engineering and the Faculty of Natural Sciences at Imperial. Full tuition fees and a stipend for living expenses will be covered by the scholarship, which is available for courses commencing October 2013.
All candidates will need to apply to the Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation following normal procedure laid out in the ‘Scholarships Abroad-Inlaks Scholarships’ section on the website.
All candidates must have a firm offer of admission to the Imperial College at the time of making the application to the Foundation.
Inlaks -LAMDA Scholarships
The last date for applications is 15 April.
In a collaborative venture, the Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation and the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA) invite applications for scholarships in the field of Theatre
Details of the courses can be viewed on the website www.lamda.org.uk
These scholarships will apply only to courses which are 2 years long, in the area of Acting and Stage Management. Candidates will have to attend auditions in Delhi or Mumbai in the second week of April 2013. In the case of Acting, a further interview may be required.
Applications received will be evaluated and shortlisted candidates will be informed of the date and venue of their audition by email or phone. Candidates, who do not receive any communication by the 10th of April 2013, must assume that their applications have not been successful.
Individuals who have been offered places at LAMDA for Stage Management or Acting would then need to go through the Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation selection process by attending the Inlaks final selection interviews in Mumbai sometime end May 2013.
Application Process :
All candidates will need to apply to LAMDA directly.
LAMDA forms can be downloaded from the website: www.lamda.org.uk.
Candidates will need to do the following:
- Download the appropriate application form (Two Year Acting Course or Two Year Stage Management & Technical Theatre Course).
- Fill it out with the required details and make a note on it that you are applying for the Inlaks Scholarship.
- Scan it into a computer and send it as a Pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to LAMDA (number on website).
- Candidates will also need to apply to the Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation following normal procedure. Inlaks forms can be downloaded from the website : www.inlaksfoundation.org
Note: Candidates applying under the INLAKS-LAMDA scholarship scheme do not require to have an offer of admission from LAMDA at the time of application to the Foundation.
The deadline for receiving applications is 1st April.
Please note: The applicant will simultaneously send their LAMDA application form to LAMDA in UK and their INLAKS application form to Inlaks (Mumbai office) to the address given below.
Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation
C/o Inlaks India Foundation
86/87 Atlanta. Nariman Point
Mumbai 400 021. India